Paying with an Invoice
Many suppliers provide an invoice as a means of requesting payment. To pay an invoice, request a payment through SOFO. Please note that it can take over 45 days for payment of an invoice after we’ve sent it to WFU Financial Services; therefore invoices should be turned in for payment as soon as possible after you receive them.
If your group receives an invoice from a supplier, follow this process:
- Review the document to to be sure it’s an acceptable, complete invoice with a correct invoice total. (See below for more about acceptable invoices.)
- Confirm with the supplier if they have received a payment from the university in the past 12 months. If not, they should supply a W-9 form along with the invoice. (Also see below for more information about the W9 form.)
- Save or scan the invoice to a PDF.
- Submit electronically to SOFO using the Payment Request form.
Elements of an Acceptable Invoice
An acceptable invoice must display the word “INVOICE” somewhere on the document.
In addition, an invoice will typically include elements such as:
- Business name and address
- Invoice date
- Invoice number
- Details about the service provided or items purchased
- Service dates
- Amounts charged for sales tax or other fees, such as shipping
- Total amount due
- Payment terms
To request payment by check for performers, speakers or other service providers with a written agreement but no invoice; please submit a payment request to SOFO with appropriate backup documentation, which could include one or more of the following:
- Contract or other written agreement
- Email confirmation detailing terms of engagement
- W-9 form, if needed
What if my vendor agreement includes delivering a check in person at the time services are rendered?
In this case you’ll need to let us know on the payment request. Also include an email address for the person who should be contacted when the check is ready. If all required documentation has been provided, AP staff will make the check available by the service date specified in your contract. Checks can be picked up at the Cashier’s Window in Reynolda Hall 107.